Parents often tell me they are not comfortable singing. Guess what? Your kids don’t care how you sound, they just want to sing with you. Bringing music into your home not only provides wonderful benefits for the children, but, simply put, singing just makes life more fun.
In our house, everything is a song. Motherhood put overwhelming new feelings in my heart that manifested in quirky, catchy tunes to teach my kids manners, potty training, and how to take their medicine. Sometimes my girls were my co-writers other times they were the subject matter. They remember the lessons learned from the songs much better than when I nag – and that makes for a happier home for all of us.
Below are my top 5 reasons to encourage your kids to love music. MUSIC…
1) Boosts brain power. Music stimulates parts of the brain that are related to reading, math, and emotional development.
2) Improves memory. Songs help kids remember more and learn more.
3) Helps kids feel more connected. Music can provide a way for little ones to unwind from the worries of life. Your kids will remember the songs you teach them long after you’re gone, and these tunes may provide comfort for years to come.
4) Is a great form of expression. Songs provide pleasure and a way to express emotions for which they have no words. You’ll see little children moving to the music long before they understand the lyrics.
5) Fosters creativity. Music is a creative pursuit and creativity is good for the mind, body and soul.
About the Author: Terilyn Winful-Scott MD loves singing with her children. She hopes her story inspires other parents to sing, whether they think they are in tune or not. You can find snippets of songs by Terilyn on Be Nice to Mommy – they may give you some ideas for your own songs!